Greenville, TX Wholesale Grocery Fire, Dec 1931
Fire Chief Injured In Greenville Blaze
Greenville, Texas, Dec. 20 (AP).
Charles COMBS, fire chief, was injured in a blaze which damaged the Sea-man-East wholesale grocery here Saturday night.
Battling the flames for more than an hour, firemen confined them to the north warehouse. Other warehouses were damaged by smoke and water.
Mr. COMBS was taken to a hospital, where it was said his injuries were not serious unless he was hurt internally. Harve PEYTON, assistant fire chief, escaped death or serious injury when an ammonia tank exploded, barely missing him after blowing through the ceiling.
Mr. COMBS was hurt when he fell into the basement.
Some smoke damage was done to the B. & J. Sales Company adjoining the grocery.
The blaze was believed to have been caused by defective wiring.
Dallas Morning News, Dallas, TX 12 Dec 1931
Transcribed by Lori Hedges. Thank you, Lori!