Denison, TX Lights Cigarette at Gas Station, Jun 1925
Man Is Burned When He Lights Cigarette at Filling Station
Special to The News.
DENISON, Texas, June 8.---Dwight Samples of Durant, Ok., was burned seriously Sunday night in Denison when fumes from gasoline were ignited from sparks of a cigarette the young man was smoking and flames swept over his face and hands. Young Samples, accompanied by Miss Pauline McCullough, drove to a local filling station for gasoline. As the fluid was run into the automobile tank Samples stepped from the car smoking a cigarette. Fumes of the gasoline ignited from the cigarette. The filling tank hose was quickly disconnected from the pump and the flames extinguished quickly, but not before Samples received various burns about the face and hands. His girl companion jumped from the car and was not burned.
Dallas Morning News, Dallas, TX 9 Jun 1925