Media, PA Fatal Cigar Smoking Accident, Dec 1909
BURNS TO DEATH FROM FIRE CAUSED BY CIGAR
MEDIA, Pa., Dec. 19.---Thomas Valentine Cooper, a member of the Pennsylvania legislature and formerly collector of the port of Philadelphia, was burned to death at his home here today. While smoking a cigar in his home he either fell asleep or suffered a paralytic stroke. His bath robe became ignited and he was dead before the flames were discovered by members of his family. Firemen found Mr. Cooper's body lying on a blazing couch in the sitting room. It was badly charred. He was 74 years old.
The Duluth News Tribune, Duluth, MN 20 Dec 1909
Transcribed by Linda Horton. Thank you, Linda!