Charleroi, PA Electricity Accident, Aug 1917
WM. HUDSPIDTH ELECTROCUTED ON WEST PENN HIGH TENSION
Accident Occurred Wednesday Afternoon About 3:35 in East Charleroi
HAD PULLED WRONG SWITCH
William Hudspith, aged 33 years, who lived at the corner of Fifth street and Shady avenue, was electrocuted Wednesday afternoon about 3:35 o'clock, while at work on lines of the West Penn Power company in East Charleroi.
Hudspith was one of a number of workmen who had been employed during the day in local lines, and had gone to East Charleroi for the purpose of cutting out the Charleroi circuit prior to doing some necessary work. In order to do this it was necessary to pull out a line switch, a proceeding the workmen are called upon to do quite frequently. In mistake, evidently, Hudspith pulled the switch, and fearing something had happened, went at once to the scene and found him dead. The body was brought to this side of the river and taken to his home.
Mr. Hudspith was a well known resident of Chaleroi and had been employed by the West Penn company since 1909. He was regarded as a skillfull[sic] electrician and local officials are at a loss to understand how the unfortunate man came in contact with the high voltage.
He is survived by his wife, two children, his mother and six brothers. Two of his brothers, Harry and George, are with the Fifth Reserve Engineers now in England; his brother Thomas started Wednesday morning for Maine, where he expected to remain for the summer, while Alexander, John and Robert are at home. Two sisters also survive, Mrs. Robert Murray and Mrs. John Laverick, both of Charleroi.
Funeral services will beheld Saturday afternoon at 2 o'clock with interment in Charletoi cemetery.]
The Charleroi Mail, Charleroi, PA 16 Aug 1917
Transcribed by Linda Horton. Thank you, Linda!