Comanche, OK Fire, Jan 1903
Fire At Comanche.
Flames Do Considerable Damage to Buildings and Stocks.
Special To The News.
Comanche, I.T., Jan. 30.-Last night about 10 o’clock fire was discovered in the roof of the building occupied by Montgomery & Co. as a drug store. How the fire started is a mystery, as there had been no fire in the upper of the building. Following are the losses: A.B. Weakly, drug store, stock $3,000; loss $2,500; insurance $1,000. Montgomery & Co., drugs; loss on goods $2,150, building and fixtures $1,200; insurance $2,000. Second floor occupied by Dr. J.A. McAfee, dentist; loss $400; no insurance. Montgomery & Pornitt, doctors, library and fixtures $300; insurance $75. Tom Begley, groceries, goods and fixtures $600; insurance $400. Building owned by Lige. Yates; no insurance. Yates Bros., empty building; no insurance. R.W. King, groceries, stock $1,400, damage $1,000; insurance $575. Building owned by E.M. Yates Sr.; no insurance.
Here a rock building stopped the flames. W.A. Yates owed the two buildings, occupying one with dry goods, and groceries in the other. Damage to building $250, damage by water and removal of stock estimated to be 10 per cent of dry goods stock valued at $10,000; damage by water and moving $2,000; insured in full. Across the street Miller & Co.’s damage to grocery stock and building was $100. Three brick buildings, occupied by the First National Bank, W.W. Kidd, dry goods; Bert B. Case, jewelry and musical goods. No damage to stocks. Buildings owned by J.F. Wagmire of Grapevine, Tex.; glass fronts broken. Buildings insured. B.E. Massey, wooden buildings, damage $150; insured. J. Herbert, Howard, jeweler; loss $50; insurance $100.
Dallas Morning News, Dallas, TX 1 Feb 1903