Kinston, NC House Fire, Dec 1964
HOUSE FIRE KILLS FIVE CHILDREN.
Kinston, N.C. -- Five children died in a fire that destroyed a five-room frame house in which 4 persons were sleeping near Kinston, N.C.
Police said the fire apparently spread from an open fireplace.
Dead were BRANDA and LINDA SPENCER; 5; their brothers, CHARLES, 9, and ERWIN RAY, 2, and a cousin, ARLENE GIBBS, 6 months.
The mother, VERDA, said she was staying at the house, home of JESSE JAMES WILLIAMS, until repairs could be made to her home nearby.
The nine who escaped included six children. Adults said fire and smoke prevented them from reaching the two rooms in which the victims were sleeping.
Waterloo Daily Courier Iowa 1964-12-20