New York, NY Boarding House Fire, Dec 1893

Firemen Impeded by College Boys.

A fire occurred shortly before 1 o'clock yesterday morning on the first floor of the dwelling 27 West Twenty-seventh Street, occupied as a boarding house by Mrs. M. A. Ralph. It was caused by a window curtain igniting from a gas jet. The fire was discovered by a bartender in a neighboring saloon. The inmates of the house were asleep at the time, and it was with difficulty that they were aroused. The women in the house were greatly alarmed, and ran out into the street in their night clothes. One of the boarders, Mrs. Schaeffer, fainted, and was carried from the house by a policeman and the bartender. The firemen soon had the fire under control, but the damage to the house and its contents amounted to about $2,000. A number of college students collected about the house and aroused the whole neighborhood by their cries and noisy antics. They impeded the firemen in their efforts to put out the fire, but they were finally driven off by the police.

The New York Times, New York, NY 1 Dec 1893

Search for more information on this disaster and other train wrecks, fires, accidents, etc. in historical newspapers in the Newspaper Archive. You just might find your ancestors in old newspaper articles. Search for your ancestors among the billions of names at ancestry.com Find death records, census images, immigration lists and genealogy other databases for your surnames. Use this Free trial to search for your ancestors. Start Your Family Tree It's FREE and easy. Start with yourself, your parents, grandparents and you're on your way to building your family history! Get Started Now and build your family tree at ancestry.com. It's Free!