New York, NY Cotton Waste Fire, Jul 1874

At 8 o'clock yesterday morning a fire broke out on the top floor of the four-story brick building No. 86 John street, occupied by R. Eagan, dealer in cotton waste. The fire is supposed to have been caused by spontaneous combustion, and before it was extinguished the floor on which it originated was gutted. The loss of Eagan, who occupies the second, third, and fourth floors, is estimated at $2,000; insured for $5,000 in the Kings County Company. The first floor and basement are occupied by Davis & Riker, machinists, damage $1,000; insured for $3,000. The building was damaged to the extent of $1,500.

The New York Times, New York, NY 30 Jul 1874

Search for more information on this disaster and other train wrecks, fires, accidents, etc. in historical newspapers in the Newspaper Archive. You just might find your ancestors in old newspaper articles. Search for your ancestors among the billions of names at ancestry.com Find death records, census images, immigration lists and genealogy other databases for your surnames. Use this Free trial to search for your ancestors. Start Your Family Tree It's FREE and easy. Start with yourself, your parents, grandparents and you're on your way to building your family history! Get Started Now and build your family tree at ancestry.com. It's Free!