New York City, NY Restaurant Explosion, Feb 1971
BLAST RIPS RESTAURANT, INJURING 13.
New York (AP) -- A one-story restaurant was demolished by an explosion Tuesday, as a utility crew was on its way to repair a broken gas main in the vicinity. Thirteen persons were injured, one critically.
Fire Chief John T. O'Hagan said an odor of leaking gas had been reported to Consolidated Edison Co. from the Golden Goose restaurant on West 23rd Street between Fifth and Sixth Avenues.
"By the time Con Ed got there, the explosion had occurred," O'Hagan said.
O'Hagan said the broken gas main caused the explosion and added: "It had some similarities to the Park Row incident." Another restaurant, Ryan's Bar and Grill, exploded Dec. 11 on Park Row near City Hall, killing 11 persons and injuring more than 60. Leaking gas was blamed in that blast also.
The 23rd Street explosion blew debris and shards of glass for 100 feet along the pavement, and high into the air. One of the victims was believed to have been a passerby.
The plate glass windows of a restaurant and two shops across the street were shattered.
The Post-Standard Syracuse New York 1971-02-10