New York City, NY Jesuit College Fire, Jan 1893

FIRE IN A JESUIT COLLEGE.

ONE PRIEST OVERCOME BY SMOKE AND DIES WITHIN AN HOUR.

New York, Jan. 2. -- Fire invaded the Jesuit college of St. Francis Xavier, on West Sixth street, Sunday morning, and the REV. THOMAS GOMLEYS, S. J. was overcome by smoke and died within a few minutes after he was rescued. The college is a large granite building adjoining the church, and contains a theater in which debates and dramatic exercises are held.
The college boys have been preparing for a presentation of Henry IV next Wednesday, and two of the teachers, J. P. McCARTHY and DAVID H. BALL, were at work on the scenery of the stage Sunday morning. In some manner not yet explained the scenery ignited and the stage was soon a mass of flames. MESSRS. McCARTHY and BALL were burned about the face and hands, but escaped without serious injury. They gave the alarm, and the brothers of the society, whose living rooms were over the theater, made their escape with one exception.
Brother GORLEYS, who is old and infirm, was in a room on the top floor. He was blinded by the dense smoke and lost his way. He was found by the firemen in a sleeping room, adjoining his own, and carried out. He died while extreme suction was being administered. The fire was extinguished after the theater and the rooms above it had been gutted. The damage is estimated at $30,000; insured.
While the fire was in progress 1,500 people were attending services in the church next door. They were told there was no danger and remained until the end of the service.

The Daily Advocate Newark Ohio 1893-01-02