New York City, NY Tenement Fire, Mar 1893

THE BABES IN THE FIRE.

FIVE CHILDREN PERISH IN A NEW YORK CONFLAGRATION.

THE PARENTS WERE OUT AND THE LITTLE ONES LOCKED IN -- ATTEMPT TO LIGHT THE DEADLY KEROSENE STOVE STARTED THE BLAZE.

New York, March 4. -- Four children were suffocated Friday morning in a rear room on the top floor of a tenement, No. 104 Henry street. The names of the victims are:
ALTMAN BERNSTEIN, 11 years old.
REBECCA BERNSTEIN, 10 years old.
HERMAN BERNSTEIN, 6 years old.
RACHEL BERNSTEIN, 6 months old.
FANNY ROSEN, 7 years old.
The children were alone at the time, the parents having left and locked them in. MYER EMBERT occupied the apartments adjoining those of BERNSTEIN'S with his family. Shortly before 8 o'clock MRS. EMBERT attempted to light a kerosene stove. It was standing on a table and just as she applied the match the stove fell to the floor. Immediately an explosion followed. The woman's clothing caught fire, but she beat out the flames and with her two children made her escape from the room. The fire swept out into the hallway and up to the roof like a flash. There were about twelve families in the tenement and when the cry of fire was raised all who could rushed for the fire escapes. The firemen soon arrived and helped the frightened inmates down to the street. The upper portion of the house was soon a mass of flames, and when the fire was under control the wild shriek of a woman came from among the throng in the street. In a few seconds another frantic woman came came rushing through the crowd to the door of the tenement. It was MRS. BERNSTEIN, the mother of four of the five suffocated children. She had been out shopping and the first she learned of the accident was when she turned into Henry street near her home and saw the flames leaping from the building. She made desperate attempts to dash into the house and it took two policemen to hold her. The firemen went to the BERNSTEIN apartments as soon as possible and on a bed in the rear room found four children dead. The fire had not touched the room, but the young ones had been suffocated as they slept. The firemen continued their search and in another room on the same floor found the boddy of little FANNY ROSEN, also suffocated. She, too, had been left alone in the room by her mother. A number of the tenants were slightly injured while escaping from the building. The total loss by the fire is $5,000.

The Milford Mail Iowa 1893-03-09

Search for more information on this disaster and other train wrecks, fires, accidents, etc. in historical newspapers in the Newspaper Archive. You just might find your ancestors in old newspaper articles. Search for your ancestors among the billions of names at ancestry.com Find death records, census images, immigration lists and genealogy other databases for your surnames. Use this Free trial to search for your ancestors. Start Your Family Tree It's FREE and easy. Start with yourself, your parents, grandparents and you're on your way to building your family history! Get Started Now and build your family tree at ancestry.com. It's Free!