Belleville, NJ Town Fire, Aug 1875
FIRE IN BELLEVILLE, N. J.
Between 2 and 3 o'clock yesterday morning one of a row of twelve frame buildings, dwelling houses, in the rear of a row of brick buildings on Franklin street, Belleville, was observed to be burning. Assistance was at once sent from Orange, but before the arrival of the engines the flames had gained such headway that, before they were subdued, they had burned ten of the frame buildings and considerably damaged the remaining two. The firemen saved the row of brick buildings from destruction, as well as a barn which stood in close proximity to the flames. The buildings were nearly all occupied, and six families were rendered homeless. The total loss is about $25,000. DANIEL BRADY, a blacksmith, owned on of the buildings, which he had insured for $1,200 in the Merchants' Insurance Company. Four of the buildings belonged to MRS. MARY DUNN, and others to MRS. CAPTAIN LEARY, also insured in the Merchants' Company for about $1,000 each. The fire is thought to have been of incendiary origin, as a strong smell of kerosene oil was discovered by the firemen.
The New York Times New York 1875-08-25