Trenton, NJ Blazing Gas Takes Life, Aug 1952

BLAZING GAS TAKES LIFE

Pacific Combat Survivor Burned Cleaning Auto With Gasoline.
Gasoline burns took the life of Warren C. Stevens, 27, of 68
Phillips Avenue last night.
While helping his young brother-in-law clean grease from his
1937 auto at the White Horse address, a can filled with gasoline
was accidentally set afire. When it was lifted off the fender of the car its flaming contents spilled on the victims clothing.
Stevens ran the length of the yard tearing at his blazing clothes.
His mother-in-law, Mrs. F. W. Kerlin ran after him as did the
brother-in-law, Arnold Kerlin, 17. They snatched up a canvas tarpaulin, wrapped it around Stevens and smothered the flames.
Dr. Swithin Chandler was called to the scene and sent Stevens
to St. Francis Hospital. He died about 11 o'clock.
Stevens was the son of Mr. and Mrs. John Stevens of Durand Avenue, Hamilton Township. Other survivors include his wife
Emily, and her daughter by a previous marriage, Thomasina Manning, 10.
Stevens came through more than 3 1/2 years of Pacific combat unscathed. He was a crewman aboard the minesweeper Florence Nightingale. Previously, he served in Europe.
He and his wife narrowly missed death in an auto crash that
occurred August 26, 1951, near Mount Holly.
Stevens formerly worked at the Hamilton Rubber Company but five months ago took a job as a lineman's assistant in the electrical division of the Pennsylvania Railroad.

Trenton Times, August 7, 1952