Boonton, NJ Six Perish In House Fire, Jan 1975

4 CHILDREN, 2 OTHERS DIE IN FIRE.

MOTHER HURT.

Boonton, N.J. (AP) -- Four children, their father and his aunt died in a fire that trapped them in the upstairs of their split-level house in this Morris County community, police said.
The children's mother was critically injured when she apparently jumped from an upstairs window to escape the fire late Tuesday night, authorities said.
Police said EDWARD MAPHET, 36; his aunt, MARY MAPHET, and his children -- EDWARD, 12; KATHLEEN, 11; PATRICIA, 9; and ELEANOR, 5 -- were overcome by smoke and heat from the blaze.
MAPHET'S body was found in a bathroom, one of the children was found in a hallway, the other three children were in their beds and the aunt's body was in a front bedroom near a window, police said. They said all were clad in pajamas.
Fire fighters found DENISE MAPHET, 32, lying in the yard in shock with broken ribs, internal injuries and bruises, police said. She was in critical condition at a hospital in Denville, a hospital spokesman said.
Police said the fire apparently started in the living room and burned only the front downstairs of the house. They said the cause was not immediately known.
A neighbor reported the fire to police just before midnight, authorities said.

Corpus Christi Times Texas 1975-01-16

Comments

Address?

What a sad story. Do you happen to know the address where the fire occurred? I was living in Boonton at the time this happened, but I do not have any memory of this event. I was a month from my 12th birthday, in 6th grade, at the only public elementary school in Boonton at the time (School Street School) - yet, I recall neither the children nor the fire.

Thanks - this is an interesting site.

Sam

Maphet Fire

Hello Sam,
I just came across this website. The surviving woman was my mother. I am curious if you or any members of your family remember anything about that day as I would like to find out more about the event myself. The house was located down the hill from the fireman's home.

Thank you

Your mother

Hi,
Your mother was a childhood friend ("cousin") of my mother. I remember the day this morning after this happened, my mother was beside herself. I was only 9 at the time, but I remember someone saying that it was caused by a stereo left on. Is your mother still alive? My mother often prays for her...

Kitty

Fire Information 1975

Hi....
I read your question in reply to an article about the house fire in Boonton, NJ in 1975. Edward Maphet who died in the fire was my dearest cousin and was two years older than I. We were scheduled to see each other after a long absence within a month but then he died. I believe your mother must be Denise (Denny) and I spoke to her after the fire as there were so many questions and she graciously answered them for me. She had remarried the man who had sung at the funeral for my cousin and the children and Aunt Mary. Your mom was having a difficult time breathing I recall as she smoked which my own mother's situation. My mother passed ten years ago and she was Ned's (Edward Maphet) closest relative when I was a boy. I thought your mom married a Mr. Cook and tthey lived in the same house that housed the fire. She mentioned she had another son (this is a long time ago) and called him I believe Edward....this must be you. Is your mom still alive? I attended the entire funeral, spoke to many of the firemen and visited the graves in Boonton Cemetery many times when I was on the road. I am certain I can answer most of your questions, but except for my admiration for your mother most of my recollection would be with the Maphet family. Please EMail if this is helpful to you and to let me know about your mother and Dad. You must be in your early thirties or late twenties now. Good luck and I hope to hear from you.
John

Maphet Fire

I grew up in Boonton and lived just 2 blocks from the Fireman's home - I moved from Boonton in 1970 so I don't remember the fire, but I know of your Mom's husband and other children because they are buried very near my husband in St Mary's. My husband also died very young and left two small children, my children, now grown. I'm sorry that I can't provide you with the details that you are looking for - I can only tell you that you and your Mom's family are so often in my prayers because I see the headstone each time I go to St Mary's and think of how tragic that fire must have been

Maphet Fire

The fire happened 35 years ago today. I remember it as if it were yesterday. Mary Kathryn (Kathleen in the article above) was a classmate of mine in Our Lady of Mt. Carmel School. We were in the 5th grade together. I remember the fire alarm going off in the middle of the night. The next morning, I went to school not knowing what happened. I got to class and my desk had been moved one closer to the front of the room. Kathryn had sat in front of me. The priests and nuns came into all the classes to tell us what had happened. My mother left work early that day to pick me up because she had heard about it on the radio. Kathryn was one of the nicest girls I had ever known (granted I was only 10 at the time). Her mother, Denise, was always a very nice person as well and had spent time at the school. The news of the fire was all over all the news broadcasts of the time. One image that stuck out in my mind was a child's sled leaning on a tree outside the Dorian Road house. I attended the wake and the funeral. Again the image of 6 coffins still sticks out in my mind. The fact that Denise was able to move on and actually lived in the house is miraculous. I always hoped that she found some happiness.

Maphet residence fire

I fought this fire as a member of the Boonton FD. The address was 32 Dorian Road. I was very young (16 I think) at the time. But I remember that there was a super human effort by the fire fighters that night to rescue people. The family was removed within minutes of the FD arrival. They were transported to the hospital in ambulances, police cars and I think one private vehicle. Sadly, none survuved. But in true Boonton fashion, the effort to save them went above and beyond.

If you go to the Boonton Holmes library, they have back issues of the Boonton TImes-Bulletin on microfilm. I know for a fact that there was extensive coverage for a couple of weeks of this tragedy. You will find all the info you are looking for in those archives. I hope you find what you are looking for.

A happy ending to Boontons Greatest Tragedy

Two years ago I purchased the Maphet house from the Cooke estate. Many neighbors and friends cringed when they heard I was purchasing the house. I am a firefighter in town--though this tragedy happened long before my term. After my first walk through of the house I couldn’t even consider owning it, twisting and winding stairways, fire bell in attic---all dark and looming over me. After many months we returned and my wife and I looked to what the house could be, hinging our minds on the fact that although such tragedy occurred. there was also many years of happiness in the house. We have embarked on a major restoration of the house, every place I work there are reminders of the fire, silver paint to contain smoke smells, char marks where fires existed. Many forget this house had three fires total, the 1975 tragedy, a kitchen and a fireplace fire which caused damage to the Florida room wall. Today, my family treats the stories of that fire with reverence. Some older members of the fire department may not attend my parties at the house, but I understand as that day was one of the darkest in BFD history, something few will ever get over.
Always remember the house is not a home without the people inside.

Relatives

I just came across this site. My family is quite interested to possibly get to know Denny's second family. Ned's Mom was Grace Branagan and my Dad (Dick) was her youngest brother. He was close in age to Ned and although they didn't get too see each other as much as they would have liked, they did keep in touch. A tragedy, indeed, but we will never forget Ned, his children and his aunt!

TV set to blame?

When this tragic fire happened at my cousins' house, I was 15 and living in Bayonne. Ned (Edward) was a cousin of my father Charles, so the kids were my second cousins. I was a papergirl delivering the NY Daily News every morning, and I believe on Sunday morning Jan 17, the front page of the paper was devoted to the family and the fire. It had photos of all six of them, right on the front page. We were later told that it was an electrical fire caused by the color television set. It had an "auto on" feature, meaning it didn't need to warm up for the 10 or so seconds that other color TV's did. I believe they later declared "auto on" features of color TVs to be a fire hazard.