Peterborough, NH Fire, Jan 1903
WORST IN YEARS.
Peterborough The Victim Of A Disastrous Conflagration.
Peterborough, N. H., Jan. 15.---The most disastrous fire in years raged for 3 hours this afternoon in Peterborough.
It started in the establishment of the Peterborough Steam Laundry and the 4-story building occupied by the Laundry company, the Peterborough Transcript Publishing company and several other concerns and the grain elevator of Walbridge and Taylor were destroyed. George Jarvin, and employe(sic) of the laundry, was seriously burned.
The fire was caused by the explosion of a can of naphtha in the laundry. The money loss is $22,000, with an insurance of $18,000.
Portsmouth Herald, Portsmouth, NH 16 Jan 1903