Warrenton, MO Central Wesleyan College Fire, June 1893
BURNED TO THE GROUND.
CENTRAL WESLEYAN COLLEGE DORMITORY DESTROYED BY FIRE -- A PROFESSOR INJURED.
Warrenton, Mo., June 16. -- At 10 o'clock Thursday night the dormitory of the Central Wesleyan college was found to be on fire. An alarm was promptly sounded but the flames made such headway that in less than an hour the building was in ruins. It was a comparatively new building and cost $14,000. Its contents were valued at about $10,000.
At the time the fire was discovered fully 1,200 people were in the college hall in attendance at the commencement exercises. That a panic did not ensue was due to the presence of mind of the presiding officer, who quietly had the doors locked, separating the hall from the burning portion and allowing the audience to make its exit calmly and safely. Several persons were injured by falling timbers while attempting to extinguish the blaze. The electric lights were shut off to prevent accident, leaving the city in darkness. Prof. KESSLER, professor of theology, fell from the roof of one of the buildings and broke both legs, besides sustaining internal injuries.
Logansport Journal Indiana 1893-06-17