Chicopee, MA Asphyxiation, Mar 1898

POLES KILLED BY COAL GAS.

SPRINGFIELD, Mass., March 20.---Kasimir Obara and Szymon Galuszka, two Poles, were found dead in bed this morning in the parochial residence connected with the Independent Polish Catholic Church of Chicopee. It is supposed that they were drunk when they went to bed and carelessly built a rousing fire in the hot-air furnace in the cellar of the house.

They permitted the register to remain open and then went to bed. Coal gas and hot air came up in such quantities that the medical examiner considered that they died in an hour after retiring. Obara was the household servant of the pastor of the church, and Galuszka was a friend whom he had induced to spend the evening with him.

The New York Times, New York, NY 21 Mar 1898

Search for more information on this disaster and other train wrecks, fires, accidents, etc. in historical newspapers in the Newspaper Archive. You just might find your ancestors in old newspaper articles. Search for your ancestors among the billions of names at ancestry.com Find death records, census images, immigration lists and genealogy other databases for your surnames. Use this Free trial to search for your ancestors. Start Your Family Tree It's FREE and easy. Start with yourself, your parents, grandparents and you're on your way to building your family history! Get Started Now and build your family tree at ancestry.com. It's Free!