Springfield, MA Main Street Fire, Jul 1864
Great Fire in Springfield, Mass.---Loss $106,000.
SPRINGFIELD, Mass., Sunday, July 24. A fire broke out broke about 12:30 on Saturday night in a wooden building on Main-street in this city, occupied by JAMES MALLY, dry goods dealer, and GEORGE M. LAW, clothing warehouse. The [ineligible] destroyed, and the fire spread to the Music Hall block, a brick building owned by TILLY HAYNES. The upper story of the block was used as an exhibition room, known as Music Hall. The lower part was occupied by J. M. SKIFF, jeweler, and T. L. HAYNE & Co., clothing dealers, and the basement was used as a billiard room and saloon. Notwithstanding the strenuous efforts of the firemen, this block was entirely destroyed, only a portion of the walls being left standing. A fresh breeze prevailing at the time, communicated the flames to a wooden building on the corner of Main and Pynchon streets, occupied by J. FULTON, millinery, H. HUTCHINS, druggist, and MOORE BROTHERS, Photographers. This building was nearly burned to the ground. A stable at the rear of Music Hall, used by THOMPSON'S Express Company, was also destroyed. The horses &c., were removed. There were several persons injured by the falling of the walls, none fatally, however, as far as heard. The total loss is estimated at $100,000. The insurance on Music Hall block is said to be $20,000. The block was valued at $50,000. Insurance on the other buildings not stated. The fire originated in MALLEY's store, and is supposed to be the work of an incendiary.
The New York Times, New York, NY 25 Jul 1864