Georgetown, KY Courthouse Fire, Sept 1876
FIRE AT GEORGETOWN, KY.
The Court-House and Several Business Buildings Burned—Loss $100,000.
Special Dispatch to the Enquirer.
GEORGETOWN, September 21.—This morning this beautiful little city was visited by a destructive fire and the splendid Court house and eight of the handsomest business houses of the place swept away at a loss of from $75,000 to $100,000. The fire was discovered in the cellar of the drug-store Keen McMeekin at three o’clock, and before it could be mastered had marred the fair appearance of the place. The loss so far as can be ascertained is as follows:
McMeekin’s drug store, building belonging to Dr. Jas. Rawlins, a building belonging to C. O. Kenney, R. Soper’s dry-goods store and building, A. Davis & Sons, clothing, removed most of the goods, over this store was Miss Percilla White’s millinery-store, the building belonged to F. A. Lyon.
Here the eastward course of the fire was arrested by Barlow’s Hall, a splendid fire-proof building, erected on the spot where a similar fire was arrested in its westward course just one year ago this month. Rankin & Webb, dry good, in Barlow’s building were slightly damaged, covered by insurance.
Going west from Soper’s was Ike Marks’ clothing store. They removed some goods. The building belonged to E. C. Barlow. The State Grange head-quarters, in this building, saved its papers. Moody’s saddlery, Price’s and Chapman’s tailoring establishments were in this building. Loss small, no insurance.
Jeptha Bohannon’s grocery, building owned by Warren Clayton. In the same building were James Cantrill’s and S. W. Long’s law offices. They saved their books and papers.
Going down Main, across the street, was Snell & Perin’s grocery. They saved some goods. The building was owned by R. P. Snell. The next building was occupied by C. C. Barbee as a residence and saddlery. Loss small as the good were removed. The building was owned by Rev. R. M. Dudley.
Here the fire was stopped and the next building, the Catholic Church, was saved. The only building on the opposite side of the street to burn was the Court house, worth $18,000, no insurance. The Clerk’s offices were in sall brick buildings on either side, and were saved, together with all the valuable papers of the county.
Lexington displayed her friendly intentions by sending one of her steamers to the rescue, but the fire was out before its arrival. The origin of the fire is unknown.
LOUISVILLE, September 21.—The Evening News has a Georgetown, Ky., special which says: “A very destructive fire occurred here last night. The Court house was burned. The fire extended across the street and consumed several business house located opposite the Court house. No estimate is yet made of that loss sustained, but is quite serious.
Cincinnati Daily Enquirer, Cincinnati, OH 22 Sept 1876
Transcribed by Linda Horton. Thank you, Linda!