Litchfield, CT United States Hotel Fire, Apr 1910

United States Hotel, Litchfield, CT

FIRE IN FAMOUS HOTEL.

House In Which Lafayette Was Entertained Damaged $10,000.

Special to The New York Times.

WINSTED, Conn., Dec. 23.---The old United States Hotel in Litchfield, built about 130 years ago and the scene of a ball in honor of Marquis Lafayette when he visited this country in 1824, was damaged to the extent of $10,000 by fire and water to-day.

The second and third stories of the hotel were destroyed. The blaze started in the attic from the chimney or from eclectic wires.

The New York Times, New York, NY 25 Apr 1910

Search for more information on this disaster and other train wrecks, fires, accidents, etc. in historical newspapers in the Newspaper Archive. You just might find your ancestors in old newspaper articles. Search for your ancestors among the billions of names at ancestry.com Find death records, census images, immigration lists and genealogy other databases for your surnames. Use this Free trial to search for your ancestors. Start Your Family Tree It's FREE and easy. Start with yourself, your parents, grandparents and you're on your way to building your family history! Get Started Now and build your family tree at ancestry.com. It's Free!