Skip to Content

Mount Gannett, AK Globemaster Crashes, Nov 1952



Anchorage, Alaska (AP) -- A faint radio signal was the only tenuous clue Monday to the fate of 52 men aboard a giant C-124 Globemaster which vanished Saturday night over the Gulf of Alaska.
Twenty-four search planes were poised here ready to fan out when weather permits over the 150 miles to tiny Middleton Island, the four-engined transport's last check-point. The weather outlook was poor.
The 41 Army and Air Force passengers and 11 crewmen were listed officially Sunday as missing in the continuing plague of U. S. military air disasters throughout the world.
Third Disaster.
It was the third U. S. military air disaster in Alaska in 15 days, involving 91 men, and the sixth throughout the world during that period. The six planes carried a total of 162 passengers and crew -- eight survived and the others are missing.
A limited search Sunday, hampered by fog, light rain and low ceiling, turned up no trace of the Globemaster, which vanished on a 1,400-mile flight from McChord Air Force Base, its home field near, Tacoma, Wash., to Elmendorf Base at Anchorage.
Largest Transport.
The huge, four-engine transport, largest in military use, last reported by radio at 9:47 p.m. PST last night, over Middleton Island, about 150 miles southeast of here in the Gulf of Alaska.
The Globemaster, operated by the Military Air Transport Service (MATS),
was flying at 9,000 feet altitude on schedule 6 hours and 17 minutes out of McChord and only 46 minutes from Anchorage.
Then there was silence.
From tiny Middleton Island, the big plane's course took it over about 50 miles of water and 100 miles of land described by veteran fliers as among "the most rugged in the world."
To the right of its route is a mountain range studded with towering, glacier-covered peaks of 10,000 feet or more. On course are smaller mountains in an almost impenetrable wilderness.

Walla Walla Union-Bulletin Washington 1952-11-24

TRANSCRIBER'S NOTE: The wreckage was found several days later on the South side of Mount Gannett. There were no survivors.
Additional Information On Crew Members:
CAPT. KENNETH J. DUVALL, 37, the aircraft commander, of Vallejo, Cal. His wife is living at Tacoma.
CAPT. ALGER M. CHENEY, 32, first pilot, of Lubec, Me., wife lives at Tacoma.
Airman 2/c CONRAD N. SPRAGUE of Sequim, Wash. His wife and son, DENNIS, 4, live at Tacoma.


1952 globemaster wreck on mt gannett

my uncle was killed in this wreck and i would like to find more info if i could any help would be greatly appr. thank you

1952 Plane Crash on Mt Gannett

my grandfather dead on this plane as well. i have been doing researchg for 11 yrs. PLease feel free to contact me...
Ms. Anderson-Dell

Passenger listing

Hi and thank you for your comments
If you have an accurate listing of the complete passenger and crew list, I would be honored to add it to this article.
Feel free to email any info to me
thank you

C-124 Air Crash

Stu, I have the report from 1952...

Mt Ganett

My aunt (Elaine Cheney) is a living relative of Alger M. Cheney and has requested through former vice president Dick Cheney to look for her deceased husband's remains. What is sad is that ":they" whoever they are won't do this.

Do you have any connections? She is related to the former vice president and still had no luck.

Mike Stevens

C-124 Crash

Hello Mr. Stevens,

Please feel free to go look at my facebook There I have your uncle's info my page. Also another family member started a group on Yahoo (c124_mtgannett) . Both sites has info, pictures etc.. for family members to view and email back and forth.
Tonja Anderson

Mt. Ganett

Hello Mike,

Yes, it is sad. I was able to get the United Stated Airforce to go back to the Mountain. I have a copy (VHS) of the flight. I also have a face-book page dedicated to this crash. There you will find other family member looking for answers.

124 air crash

1952 Aircraft crash on Mt Gannett Alaska. I was part of a Rescue team that went to Mt Gannett to try to get to the crash and recover whatever remains and information we might find. This was late summer of 1953 after we felt the snow had melted enough to get to the site. This was a failly large under taking by the Air Force 10th Rescue. Unforttunately the missdion had to be a banded as the winter storms pined us down in our tents and we had to get off the mountain. I have more details of our undertaking of this mission and a few pictures if any on is interested. I was a Pararesce jumper with the 71st Air Rescue Sq 10th Air Rescue Gp stationed at Elmendorf AFB 1952 to 1954

thank you

thank you so much for your input ..
I know your heroic work was deeply appreciated by so very many
Stu Beitler

My father died on the plane,

My father died on the plane, I still live in Tacoma. If I can fill any blanks for you please contact me.

article | by Dr. Radut